What you need to know about using travel adapters in Australia

Every traveler should know that parallel flat tips are required for envelopes in North and South America, while those with round pins and rods are perfect for Europe and other countries. But for travelers to Australia, this rule of thumb does not apply so effectively. Basically, travel adapters in Australia are not as interchangeable or adaptable as they were with the rest of the world because of their unique V-shaped rods. The grounded version has the same roadformation of the main tips with a third bottom in the vertical position.

Type I Electrical Sockets in Commonwealth

In particular, most sockets in Australia are AS-3112-type with a grounding. It looks as much as the standard business of the Chinese COPCS CCC and the Argentine IRAM. In addition, outputs produce on average about 220 to 240 volts of electricity. Any device running on this voltage input or something that is compatible with multiple electrical inputs only needs a travel adapter. Otherwise, travelers would need an additional transformer or power converter for North American devices and devices that normally only run at 110 to 120 volts.

Devices with 100 to 240 Volt Input / Output

Most laptops, mobile phone chargers, digital cameras and PDAs can switch automatically from low to high voltage or from 50 Hz to 60 Hz and vice versa. Travelers only need a travel adapter to recharge these types of equipment in their hotel room. Meanwhile, North American handheld devices like hair dryers, curling iron, razors and flat iron operate mostly at 110 to 120 volts of power. When you know your equipment was purchased in the United States or Canada, you must bring a transformer so you can use them without shorting them.

Reading Electrical Information on the Connector

Labels with their electrical info are often found on the bottom of the devices or on their sides. Information such as 120V 60Hz 2.5A means that the device can only be used with an outlet that emits 120 volts. Meanwhile, label information similar to this: 120 / 220V 50 / 60Hz 200W may mean that the equipment is compatible with both high and low voltage outputs in different regions. Then there is a sign that says 100-240V 50 / 60Hz 65W, a guarantee that your equipment can be used with any type of connector in any country without fear of destroying the device.

Most travel adapters are available as universal types for Australia and New Zealand. They have either retractable connectors or replaceable heads that fit different connectors. In truth, it is not necessary to have a landfiller.

Source by Ben B Goldstein